GOLFER TINNING BOWS OUT AFTER DUBAI WIN DUBAI,United Arab Emirates -- Iben Tinning of Denmark scripted a fairytale ending to her full-time professional golf career when she won the Dubai Ladies Masters with a birdie on the final hole.
At the Majlis course of Emirates Golf Club, the former European No1, playing her last competitive event as a Ladies European Tour member, closed with a round of three-under par 69 for a tournament total of 11-under par 278 to take the honours, two shots ahead of Sweden's Anna Nordqvist.
England's Melissa Reid finished in sole third position after making a bogey on the final hole, while first-round leader Florentyna Parker of England and LPGA Tour regular Christina Kim were tied fourth at six-under par 282.
American Michelle Wie saved her best for the last round, moving to joint sixth place at five-under 283 following the day's best round of five-under par 67. She was joined by the 2009 champion and world No7 In Kyung-Kim on the same score.
After collecting the biggest cheque of her career (75,000 euros), a delighted Tinning said she could barely come to terms with how her time on the Tour had climaxed.
"I still can't believe I won and it's just amazing," purred Tinning, who is due to resume her studies for a sports psychology degree.
"I really tried to keep strong out there and it was tough sometimes but I cannot believe this.
"It's just crazy to end my career like this. I know all of the people that helped me out and my parents and my husband (who caddied for her), I mean, it's such a great gift for everybody and we are just so happy.
"In terms of finishing my career on a high, nothing can beat this."
Tinning insisted that there would be no going back on her plans.
"No, no. It's not an option. I am on so many painkillers, it's just not fun anymore," she said.
"Obviously to win like this, it has been my main goal to finish on a high but my hip is just so bad. On 16, I had such a bad pain and I'm just happy it kept me through and that I can pick up the trophy."
Starting the day tied for lead with Reid, Tinning closed with a birdie and was hugged by almost every member of the Ladies European Tour on the 18th green.
With her husband Lasse alongside her, Tinning made the turn tied for the lead with Reid at nine-under, but back-to-back birdies on the 10th and 11th saw her establish a clear three-shot lead as the tenacious Englishwoman bogeyed the 10th.
Reid, the winner of the Turkish Open, however, refused to give up. She birdied the 13th to narrow the gap to two and then a bogey on the 15th by Tinning further reduced her lead to just one shot with three holes to play.
On 17th, Reid's 20-footer attempt for birdie agonizingly slid past, and she hit it into the right trees off the tee on the par-5 18th and finished with a bogey.
Nordqvist could have put Tinning under more pressure, but her birdie putts from eight feet on both the 17th and 18th holes failed to drop in.